Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:13:32 +0200
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: listing ports@FreeBSD.org as maintainer

Am Mittwoch den, 23. Juni 2004, um 17:56, schrieb Michael Nottebrock:

> On Wednesday 23 June 2004 17:19, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
>
>>> I hope you'll all agree with me that having people post inadvertently

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> a list is undesirable [...]
>>
>> We all agree.
>
> I don't.
>
> I disagree with reason 1, wrt reason 2,3: it's common behaviour on
> FreeBSD
> lists to use Reply-All (i.e., CC the poster) exactly because the lists
> are
> open to outside postings.

I guess we can all agree that posting inadvertently to a list is
undesirable.
I didn't state that I share any of the reasons given, not that I support
any
of the fixes suggested. Evil people might even suggest that it is a
problem
of the submitter that he is unaware, and not the list, but I didn't say
that
either.

>> The READMEs are generated by a script, you want want
>> to provide a patch.
>
> I'd still like those READMEs to be disabled completely. They interfere
> with
> cvsup in a most annoying way and thus generate FAQs (why do I have empty
> directories with a README in it? Why are there ports twice in the tree
> but
> one of them doesn't work?).

They shouldn't be in the ports tree. Is there any other place where I
can find
them, e.g. on the web? NetBSD has theirs on a ftp server:
   <ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-
current/pkgsrc/archivers/pax/README.html>

-Oliver