Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 11:29:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, phk@critter.tfs.com, current@FreeBSD.org, julian@ref.tfs.com, scrappy@ki.net
Subject:   Re: PATCH: small, syntax changes for devfs

> > wd0s1 is there, and opening it would reveal wd0s1[a-h], but this isn't
> > much use.  Perhaps wd0s1 should be a directory containing [a-h].  I
> > prefer a flat namespace.
>
> Doesn't wd0s1 need to be a device file so you have something to run
> disklabel against?

Yes, but "reveal" doesn't mean you blow the others away.  I dislike
"potential" entries for non-clone devices, so "reveal" would be
annoying otherwise, I think.

This is really irrelevant to flat vs. non-flat name spaces.  There is
no reason why a device file can't be a directory and a file at the
same time.  Device reads and writes don't care about seek offsets
and getdirentries() is a seperate call that can act on the fd using
the fd's seek offset field entirely seperately from use as a device.

Truly, getdirentries wants to take a seek offset as an argument instead
of using the seek portion of the fd to avoid any possible conflict
on seekable physical devices that have logical devices hierarchically
associated with them.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---