Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2014 19:20:34 +0100
From:      Felix Palmen <felix@palmen-it.de>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DRI not working, AMD E 300 with Radeon HD 6310

Thanks for your suggestion,

Am Mittwoch, 19. November 2014, 15:14:54 schrieben Sie:
> An article on wikipedia 'claims' the Radeon HD 6310 'Zacate' using Evergreen
> chipset, however the wiki page on FreeBSD graphics shows Northern Islands /
> Palm... see in your posted log that PALM firmware is being loaded.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Accelerated_Processing_Unit#Bobcat_architec
> ture_.282011.29:_Ontario.2C_Zacate.2C_Desna.2C_Hondo
>
> (6310 does not appear on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_6000_Series)
>
> It appears to me this product was released in 2011 'in-between-stage'
> Evergreen/Northern Islands.
>
> Maybe that's the issue? Can you try booting a Linux kernel (maybe mainline)
> from USB or something to see what firmware is loaded?

This seems interesting. As my machine is in the middle of rebuilding from
current head (I decided to start over, just to be sure), I took the time to
check the source. I discovered a lot of the struct radeon_asic members for my
chip (dev id 0x9802) actually point to routines in evergreen.c, while some
point to those in r600.c. Trying to compare to linux 3.17 code, I couldn't
identify any differences apart from features like UVD. If I interpreted the
code correctly, linux also attempts to load PALM firmware. So I guess that's
unfortunately not the issue, but I'll double-check as soon as my machine
finishes building.

Should I try comparing firmware blobs themselves? Maybe there were fixes since
linux 3.8?

> also.. It would be nice to import a newer kernel version.. 3.8 (if my
> recollection is correct) is getting dated. +I'd still love to have BONAIR
> support. :)

Indeed, especially UVD would be very nice to have. But for now, I'd be happy
to get DRI working ;)