Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:56:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein-freebsd-questions@theloosingend.net>
To:        Frederick <frederickp@synology.com>
Cc:        frederickpon@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: How to make the boot menu just like I want?

[Frederick, 2004-10-11]
:
>  So please help me to find the partition number(subtype), or tell me how to do that
>  to make the change.

The FreeBSD boot manager is a very small program that lives entirely
within the bootsector of the disk. It is therefore only one sector in
size, or 512 bytes. To change the boot menu, you would have to reqrite
this program. The source code is in:

/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0.S

Note, however, that this program is allready exactly 512 bytes when
compiled, so for every byte you put in, you need to take another one out.

On my laptop I've recompiled the boot0 program to display "Diag" for the
Dell diagnostic service partition, XP in place of DOS, and FreeBSD for my
FreeBSD partition. To get room for the Diag selecttion, I had to remove
Linux from the list. I think I've lost my patches, but the boot sector
code has been living happily and undisturbed on the boot sector through
alot of system updates.

Please be careful when replacing the boot sector. Your system may become
unbootable, and you would have to resort to boot disks to get it back.

   Cheers,
   Svein Halvor