Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:01:25 -0500
From:      "Larry S. Marso" <larry@marso.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   gtk11 out of date

The ports collection is still at 1.1.2; 1.1.5 has been released.
There are incompatibilities even among the GTK apps currently in the ports.
For example, replay won't compile against 1.1.2.

I also see the port goes through some hoops to differentiate gtk1.1X from
gtk1.0X by re-naming key components (e.g. gtk-config).  And the libs
and executables go in /usr/X11R6 rather than in /usr/local.

Is all this necessary?  There is some value in having a plain vanilla 1.0X
for gimp1.0.  But there's a much improved gimp1.1 available via cvs that
uses the gtk1.1X series.  And there are 10's of new apps just announced for
GTK (see www.gtk.org) all requiring the latest, and GTK is about to go
to 1.2-release.

The way the ports collection is set up, it's difficult to download any of
those new apps and get their config files to recognize that GTK is
installed.  I'm just wondering if it isn't possible to bring us up-to-date
with a current GTK installation ... one that's compatible with grabbing
sources for apps using this emerging toolkit before they make their way
into the ports collection.