Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 16:48:09 -0500
From:      "Evan Champion" <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        "Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group" <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Instant trap on make installworld

>There is a bug in nullfs/umapfs or VM (depending on your point of view)
>which causes the panic you're describing when the mmap() system call is
>used.  I put together a patch (kludge) and submitted it as a PR.  This
>has caused a fair bit of discussion among various develpers and members
>of the Core Team.

... and of course, as soon as make installworld resets the libpaths, mmap()
gets involved on the nullfs...

Ok, given that this bug exists, is there a way I can use links to simulate
what I wanted to accomplish with nullfs?  The basic problem is that on the
client, the tree is mounted as /usr/src and /usr/obj, but on the server it
is under /exports.

If I try to link /usr/src to /exports/src etc. on the server, make
installworld fails because it tries to find the objects then under
/exports/obj/exports/src (or something similar) instead of
/exports/obj/usr/src, where they would have been written by the client.

Obviously, I can hand-link to fix the problem, but are there a set of make
options that will allow me to build without tinkering?

Evan