Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 13:09:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, nickh@supportteam.net
Subject:   Re: Multicast Routing

Usually multicast groups are joined on a multicast address. On
Ethernet there is a mapping between multicast addresses and multicast
ethernet addresses and if the ethernet card is well behaved, filters
only those multicast ethernet addresses, and the IP stack filters the
multicast IP address that are wanted.

For multiple ethernet cards on one machine, a multicast routing program
such as pimd (PIM) or mrouted (DVMRP) is usually used, and it forwards
data when a remote client joins a multicast group (address).

You sound like you want to static route the multicast traffic. I have
seen default multicast routes, but have not done static multicast routes.

I would not suggest you do port based routing, it will turn your
multicast into broadcasts.

--Mark Tinguely