Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 12:27:09 -0400
From:      "Christian Taylor" <phazer@ns.sympatico.ca>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Ports question

Hi,

I have a question about ports/packages that's been bugging me for a while
now.  What happens when you want to UPGRADE a port or a package?  For
example, right now I have the port of pine 4.10 installed.  I'd like to
upgrade this to the latest port of pine 4.21.  Do I need to uninstall the
old port first?  Or will the new port see that I had the old one installed,
and upgrade it appropriatly?  Basically, I don't want to have both 4.10 AND
4.21 installed.  And this applies to any other ports as well, not just pine.

I couldn't find this documented in the handbook anywhere, so if someone
could clear this up for me, I'd really appreciate it!

 -Christian