Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 16:15:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        brooks@one-eyed-alien.net
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, steveo@iol.ie, rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make port and bsd.port.mk

(Redirected from -current.)

 * From: brooks@one-eyed-alien.net

 * On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Archie Cobbs wrote:

 * > I'm curious what the reason for moving the includes to /usr/ports/Mk
 * > was.. is this to insure better consistency? That would make sense.

Yes.  There is also a plan to add some "versioning" mechanism to have
the bsd.port.mk in the tree automatically check the existence of an
upgrade kit or a reasonably close "make world" so the rest of the
/usr/src dependencies can be automatically handled too, but that's
only just a plan so far.

 * It makes since to me, but I'm a little confused about the timing of this
 * change.  It was rather annoying to update my 2.2.8-STABLE machine a day or
 * two after being told that cvsuping ports on a 2.2 machine might cause
 * breakage (re: the no more 2.2 support announcement) to find that *not*
 * cvsuping ports broke my ports collection because the makefiles moved to
 * /usr/ports/Mk.  Don't get me wrong, I like the change, but the timing
 * seems less the perfect.

Huum.  I deliberately merged that change after the announcement since
I didn't introduce any breakage in the final snapshot, although I
wanted to give a chance to people who would try to follow
ports-current anyway.

But you are right, I probably outsmarted myself.  Hmm, how can I fix
this.  What do people think of something like:

===
PORTSDIR?=	/usr/ports
.if exists(${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.port.mk)
.include "${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.port.mk"
.else
 :
 rest of original bsd.port.mk
 :
.endif
===

as a final version of bsd.port.mk in 2.2-stable?

Satoshi