Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:25:33 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   direct vs. indirect port dependencies

Hi all,

how can I distinguish direct and indirect dependencies? If I run for
example pkg_info -R perl-5.8.8_1, it prints long list of ports, but I am
sure than not all of them needs perl for runing (mainly php5 extensions
in this case)

# pkg_info -R perl-5.8.8_1
Information for perl-5.8.8_1:

Required by:
apache-2.2.11
autoconf-2.13.000227_6
autoconf-2.62
automake-1.10.1
automake-1.4.6_5
automake-1.9.6_3
fastresolve-2.10_4
help2man-1.36.4_2
mrtg-2.16.2,1
mytop-1.6_4
p5-BerkeleyDB-0.36
p5-DBD-mysql-4.006
p5-DBI-1.60.4
p5-Net-XWhois-0.90_4
p5-PathTools-3.2900
p5-Pod-Parser-1.35_2
p5-SNMP_Session-1.12
p5-Scalar-List-Utils-1.19,1
p5-Storable-2.18
p5-Term-ANSIColor-1.12
p5-Term-ReadKey-2.30
p5-URI-1.37
p5-gettext-1.05_2
pear-1.7.2
pear-Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer-0.9.1
subversion-1.4.6_2
sysconftool-0.15_2
php5-5.2.8
php5-bz2-5.2.8
php5-zip-5.2.8
php5-zlib-5.2.8
php5-iconv-5.2.8
php5-mbstring-5.2.8
php5-mysql-5.2.8
php5-simplexml-5.2.8
php5-spl-5.2.8
php5-mysqli-5.2.8
php5-sqlite-5.2.8
php5-tokenizer-5.2.8
php5-curl-5.2.8
php5-ftp-5.2.8
php5-exif-5.2.8
php5-gd-5.2.8
php5-imap-5.2.8
php5-sockets-5.2.8
php5-mcrypt-5.2.8
php5-openssl-5.2.8
pecl-fileinfo-1.0.4
php5-posix-5.2.8
php5-ctype-5.2.8
php5-dom-5.2.8
php5-xml-5.2.8
php5-xmlreader-5.2.8
php5-xmlwriter-5.2.8
php5-session-5.2.8
php5-extensions-1.2
pear-OLE-1.0.0.r1
awstats-6.9,1
ImageMagick-nox11-6.4.8.3
ZendOptimizer-3.3.0.a

So how can I get the list of directly dependent ports? (list of ports
which requires perl for run in this case, but I am asking this for
general use)

Or from the other side, I expect the list without mysql, perl, db41, as
this extension (php5-session) runs without them. These are dependencies
inherited from Apache.
# pkg_info -r php5-session-5.2.8
Information for php5-session-5.2.8:

Depends on:
Dependency: expat-2.0.1
Dependency: perl-5.8.8_1
Dependency: pkg-config-0.23_1
Dependency: pcre-7.8
Dependency: mysql-client-5.0.75
Dependency: db41-4.1.25_4
Dependency: libiconv-1.11_1
Dependency: libxml2-2.7.2_1
Dependency: apache-2.2.11
Dependency: php5-5.2.8

Thanks for any suggestions for solution reflecting options
(dependencies) used in build time of the port (I think cd /usr/ports/ &&
make search name=$port_name | grep 'R-deps' will not print dependencies
of non-default options). And for the second - it can not be used as
replacement for pkg_info -R.

Miroslav Lachman