Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 00:42:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        Lanny Baron <beef@cybertouch.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Linux

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Lanny Baron wrote:

[snip]
>	You have that little daemon pic on all your cd's and on Mr.
>Lehey's book The Complete FreeBSD. Damn that is a good pic. Why don't you
>do marketing with that? Get posters, get brochures. Shit send them to me
>and I will go to the University of Toronto and get them in the book store
>not to mention the large chain stores.

	No. YOU get posters. YOU get brochures. Do you think Linus was
doing all the advocacy and marketing for Linux? No - the users were. Linus
writes code. And that is exactly what FreeBSD people are doing right now,
especially with 3.0 coming up.
	I suggest you get the poster, you spread the word and people will
follow you.

>	I have hooked up with a well known person in the FreeBSD community
>to attempt to make a accounting system (gui) for the FreeBSD os. But as
>you are aware or should be, it is massive. I have talked with friends
>(accountants--c.a's in the u.s. they are certified public accountants) and
>they say that this is a huge undertaking. That is one of the reasons I
>needed to learn about samba.
>
>	Anyway, I would not hit the panic button. For one thing FreeBSD is
>far easier to install than Linux is. But if you can either get a public
>offering of shares or some venture capital, you certainly have the human
>resources in the FreeBSD community to "kick ass"
>
>Now go do it.

	Lead us by example.

-- Yan