Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:36:26 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
Cc:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS upgrades...

On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 01:18:22PM -0400, Brett Taylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, J McKitrick wrote:
>
> > I'm running 3.2 on a laptop, and i would like some of the features in
> > 3.3. Is there a way to do a selective upgrade?  As you all know by
> > now, my ISP connection is unreliable, and i would hate to start a 3
> > hours download and have it cut out every 20 minutes.  I am mostly
> > interested in APM and Linux-compat upgrades, as well as bug fixes.
>
> Run cvsup - it won't take long (it only updates the files that have
> changed so you're not downloading all the source).

The recommendation at
http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html is that
you run cvsup(1) first with your current release as the tag to
build a checkout file. This is to ensure that the correct files (and
all of them) are deleted when you actually u/g. This step took ~2
hours for me, the actual u/g 3.1-R -> 3.3-stable took 33 minutes.

> I recommend reading
> the make world tutorial:
>

> http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html
>
> Brett
> Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
> Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
> Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
> Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
> Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.