Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 15:46:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        Paul MacKenzie <elephant@cgocable.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Script for dhcp-2.0b1p10 for FREEBSD 2.2.5

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Studded wrote:
> > > 2) the dhclient.conf file does not exist. I copied the file from the
> > > install directory and tried to manually change it, but I had no real success..
> >
> > Aside from some rather obvious changes (domain search) the example
> > should work in most cases.
>
> 	I don't remember if I had to copy the file by hand or not. Did you
> install the port?  You might give that a try if you didn't already.

I installed from the sources.  And copied it by hand :)  Even in the
port this (and startup) probably need to be manual since it doesn't
know whether you want client, server or relay.  Could use a TYPE=xxx
argument to make I guess.

> > Make sure you have dhclient starting up at boot time and have
> > dhclient-script and dhclient.conf in /etc
>
> 	I learned a nifty trick the other day. Of course it's something that's
> been there all along, but it's new to me. :)  In /etc/rc.network there
> are hooks at the beginning of the file to run scripts of the format
> /etc/start_if.${ifn} where $ifn is an interface number defined in
> "network_interfaces" in /etc/rc.conf. So, I put the following script in
> /etc/start_if.ep0:

On my laptop I use the pccard_ether_install/remove scripts that do pretty
much the same thing, good idea though.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com