Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:47:04 +0100
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Remote backups: problem solved (FYI)

  This one just to make you know that the problem for I asked a solution in
my previous message has been solved by applying a patch to rshd. It was a
small bug (7381) in the rshd.c version of 2.2.7-RELEASE (I'm running that
version on my target server). If someone has the same problem: search the
bugs mailing for 7381 and you'll find the simple patch.

>  I'm currently using NFS and tar to backup 3 FreeBSD servers on the DAT
tape >drive of a fourth server. I'd like to switch to dump/rdump, but when
I try to >issue a dump -f command, it stops after the connection and
analysis of the >local filesystem with a "protocol to remote tape server
botched (code "Broken >pipe")" error:

>local# dump -f remote:/dev/rst0 /var
>  DUMP: Connection to remote established.
>  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Mon Feb 22 14:56:06 1999
>  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
>  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rda0s2f (/var) to /dev/rst0 on host remote
>  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
>  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
>  DUMP: estimated 13026 tape blocks on 0.33 tape(s).
>  DUMP: Protocol to remote tape server botched (code "Broken pipe").
>  DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.
>
>  The local machine is in the root's .rhosts file of the remote machine
and >rshd isn't commented out in the remote's /etc/inetd.conf. Of course
dump works >well locally.

>  What am I missing here?

---

  Stefano Riva
  Software Engineer - Systems Administrator
  Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
  Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
  Email sriva@alice.it