Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:27:03 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Francois Kritzinger <ffkrz@iafrica.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: QUESTION: Installing JDK1.3 for Linux on freeBSD

> I downloaded the Linux JDK 1.3. It is a  script (.bin) which
> basically extracts JDK (the actual files, bin, docs, etc dirs
> included, not source or anything) into the working directory. I
> don't know what else it does...  I don't know how to install it
> though.
>
> Do I simply set my CLASSPATH and PATH variables? If so , where do I
> do this, in .profile or in csh.cshrc? Or where?
>
> If no, what then?

For some apps, you'll have to set JAVA_HOME to point to where you
installed the JDK, but that's not universal.  I had no problem with it
just setting my PATH to point to the right place, /usr/local/java/bin
in my case.  If you want that PATH entry to be there for all users on
your machine, look at /etc/login.conf.  Otherwise, set it in your
~/.login or ~/.cshrc if you're using {t,}csh, or ~/.profile if you're
using {ba,k,}sh.

Be warned there was a pseudo-bug in the wrapper script that shipped
with the Linux JDK 1.3.  In $JAVA_HOME/bin/.java_wrapper, the paths to
a lot of shell tools were hard-coded, and some of them were wrong,
depending on your installation.  Caveat programmor.

> And also, on a side note, what are some of the better Java IDE's for
> freeBSD?

Um... Emacs?  :)  Seriously, I don't know; I don't use any.  A lot of
GUI addicts where I work use JBuilder 4, but it's expensive, and I
don't know how their Linux version will work on FreeBSD.

Lucas