Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:26:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      brooks@one-eyed-alien.net
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [re]writable cdrom drive

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Remember that at least for the Yamaha you can set the speed to 6 if
>     you are burning CD-R's.  4 is the max for CD-RW's.

When I last used cdrecord (on Solaris) I remember finding that if I tried
to write with a speed that was too high for the media type (i.e. 2x on a
1x CD-RW writer) that the drive (an older Yamaha) did the right thing so
you should be able to set the higher speed globaly.  The only problem was
that cdrecord didn't do the right thing so the time estimates were bogus.

-- Brooks