Date:      Thu, 29 Sep 2011 20:06:54 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Denny Schierz <linuxmail@4lin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to update like Debian

--------------enig9EE8ABB16AD1CAF5AA1B24E9

On 29/09/2011 18:45, Denny Schierz wrote:
> There was also no solution for this problem. I  think it has something =
to do with the release I run:
>=20
>  8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #0: Thu Jul  7 13:20:14 CEST 2011 =20
>=20

8.2-STABLE isn't a release.  It's from a development branch.  You need
to download sources in some fashion and rebuild the system yourself if
you're going to track STABLE.  There are numerous ways of pulling down
the FreeBSD sources, well documented in the Handbook.  The Handbook also
covers building and updating your system by compiling those sources.
The Handbook is your friend.

If you want a more Debian-like experience, then you need to be running
an actual released version of the OS.

Releases are called things like 8.2-RELEASE-p2  In general, if it
doesn't have 'RELEASE' in the name then it isn't one, and usually it
won't be supported through freebsd-update(8).  (Exceptions are -BETAx
and -RCx (release candidate) versions generated for testing by
freebsd-update users during the release process, but those only have a
very limited lifespan.)

Unfortunately to get from -STABLE to -RELEASE and to have that work with
freebsd-update(8), you will basically have to reinstall your system from
install media downloaded from one of the FreeBSD FTP sites.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3