Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 09:59:39 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

> I beg to differ.  Most machines which may validly receive email do *not*
> have valid hostnames.  Using the majority-minority rule, *you* lose.
> That's reality.

That's sure news to me - every machine I've dealt with over the last
couple of years, absolutely without exception, has had a perfectly
valid hostname.  What twisted kind of reality do you live in? ;-)

And it's also beside the point - I'm not against such machines
receiving mail, simply generating it.  If they want to generate mail
then is it so much to ask to have them relay it through a legit host?
I don't think so.

> Please do not intentionally damage global email.  The system can only

global email is already irretrievably damaged and quite possibly on
its last legs.  What we're talking about here are strategies for
surviving in a post-spammer era and simply ignoring the problem and
leaving things wide open is not the answer we're looking for here.

					Jordan