Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 2004 8:01:58 -0000
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
To:        "Matt Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        "gerarra@tin.it"@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Kernel buffer overflow

--------- Original Message --------
From: Matt Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc: viro@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk, gerarra@tin.it,
freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Date: 18/09/04 05:41

&lt;freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org&gt;;
> &lt;gerarra@tin.it&gt;
> Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2004 1:22 AM
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD Kernel buffer overflow
>

> &gt; In &lt;001801c49d38$1c8cb790$1200a8c0@gsicomp.on.ca&gt;, Matt
Emmerton
> &lt;matt@gsicomp.on.ca&gt; typed:
> &gt; &gt; I disagree.  It really comes down to how secure you want FreeBSD
to be,
> and
> &gt; &gt; the attitude of &quot;we don't need to protect against this case
because
> anyone
> &gt; &gt; who does this is asking for trouble anyway&quot; is one of the
main reason
> why
> &gt; &gt; security holes exist in products today.  (Someone else had
brought this
> up
> &gt; &gt; much earlier on in the thread.)
> &gt;
> &gt; You haven't been paying close enough attention to the discussion. To
> &gt; exploit this &quot;security problem&quot; you have to be root. If
it's an
> &gt; external attacker, you're already owned.
>
> I'm well aware of that fact.  That's still not a reason to protect against
> the problem.
>
> If your leaky bucket has 10 holes in it, would you at least try and plug
> some of them?
>
> --
> Matt Emmerton

So should we stop the command ``shutdown -h now'' from working for root?
After all, he can DoS the system with it?

How about this: let's disallow root from loading kernel modules! That way
this can't ever happen.

Even better: Why don't we just not boot into a usable environment! Then we
have NO security holes.

You guys are failing to see: ROOT HAS OMNIPOTENT POWER. SOMEBODY MUST HAVE
OMNIPOTENT POWER. THIS IS NOT A BUG. THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ON.

Not to be sarcastic, but you guys are missing the problem. The problem was
that someone was unaware of a kernel API. When you start programming for the
kernel, you need to make sure that the code is secure. If you think this is
a problem, take a look at init(8) and learn about securelevels.

What happened: someone was unfamiliar with the syscall API. They crashed
their system. They screamed wildly, believing they'd found a buffer
overflow, when they'd merely overloaded the function stack and screwed up
the call. This caused the system to reboot. Solution: make it more clear
that syscalls take only 8 arguments. Make it clear that you can pass
arguments in a struct to a syscall. Make it clear that many/most syscalls do
this anyway. If there's beef on this, take it to doc@.

--Devon