Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:49:57 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More XORG_UPGRADE questions

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 07:32:55 -0700 (PDT)
Blah Blatz <blahblatz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the responses to the previous ones.
>
> If I have successfully upgraded to xorg 7.2, and later I want to do a
> portupgrade of my installed ports to a newer version, and those
> include xorg or some xorg-related ports, do I have to again make sure
> that XORG_UPGRADE is set?
>
> Or, after having successfully upgraded to 7.2, can I forget about
> XORG_UPGRADE forever (at least, until the next time that I install
> xorg on a fresh box)?
>
> How long is it planned/expected to be so that people installing on a
> fresh box (or, depending on the answer to that last question,
> upgrading their existing 7.2+) have to know/remember XORG_UPGRADE?

All XORG_UPGRADE is, is a reminder to read UPDATING. If it's not
defined, and /usr/X11R6 is an ordinary directory, then
x11/xorg-libraries wont build.

Once you have run mergebase.sh, /usr/X11R6  is a symlink, not a
directory so there's no need to define XORG_UPGRADE thereafter.
Future releases of FreeBSD wont be a problem either, but a clean
install of 6.2 (or older versions) will need mergebase.sh to clean-up
the references to X11R6 in the base system.