Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 1995 04:51:39 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proposal 6: README in ports directories

Okay, here goes the next one.  Jordan has been drilling me about this
for months. ;)  Here's a re-bake of what I sent to this list a while
ago....

I would like to put auto-generated README files in each port's
directory as well as the categories.  To auto-generate this README, we
can create a subdirectory "pkg" that has COMMENT and DESCR (I have no
idea what PLIST here can do ;) in each category.

For instance, the emulators/README will look like this.  Most of it
will be taken from a template, residing in /usr/ports/templates or
something.

===
This is the README file of ports/emulators.

This category contains software that you can use to run programs for
different operating systems and those you can use to read/write data
written in their format. (taken from pkg/DESCR)

These are the one-line descriptions of each port:

cpmemu:    Cpm emulator version 0.2
cpmtools:  Utility to transfer files from/to CP/M (R) diskettes.
hfs:       hfs - program for reading Macintosh HFS floppy disks, hard drives a.
mtools:    Mtools  -  a collection of tools for manipulating MSDOS files. Vers.
pcemu:     pcemu - An 8086 PC emulator, written by By David Hedley (hedley@cs..
tkfhs:     tkhfs - a Tcl/Tk front end to the hfs program.
vmsbackup: VMSBACKUP reads VMS BACKUP tapes.
(obviously taken from */pkg/COMMENT -- I truncated long lines)

If you want to see a more detailed description of each port, please cd
into that directory and type "make info".
===

And ports/README will have a little more "meta" version of this,
taking emulators/pkg/COMMENT and such.  Obviously, it needs a separate
template too.  Same goes to individual ports' directories, although
that would be much simpler no children (PKGNAME, pkg/COMMENT,
pkg/DESCR, plus some dependencies?).

Jordan suggested we make make this do html, so some tips on how to do
that would be appreciated too.  I guess we just add some <a href=..."
stuff at the bottom?

The point here is to make this totally automated, so that we can even
type "make README" at the toplevel to update all the READMEs.  There
should be no reason to edit these files themselves manually.

Comments please, ladies and gentlemen.

Satoshi