Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:58:49 -0400
From:      John Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More on Walnut Creek CDROM promotional give-aways...

Jordan-
	WC might want to consider sending these promotional boxes at the beginning
of the schoolyear, and not at the end:) People don't have the time to
switch, and install, and all that and make it to the end of this semester.
It'd be a better idea to wait until late august.

	A major source of problems with usage exists in the fact that at our large
universities (pitt) there is a management dept. that has little or no
interaction with students making all of the decisions on software,
hardware, etc. Pitt's CIS just decided to move all machines with a pentium
to NT, and away from win3.1/95, which was a good start toward having a
decent operating system, but providing some pentiums with a unix would be
very useful indeed. Half the students use unix all the time , anyway,
because it's a pain to set up popmail around afs here, for some reason. If
the CIS dept. put unix on more machines, then they could run the machines
full-time and people wouldn't wait 30 years to check email in a lab. There
are many marketing approaches for universities that show the simplicity of
using unix over many os's. The one at which we suffer is application base.

	Still, as Pitt lets out in five days, it wouldn't be much use to send CDs
now, but in the fall I'd be interested in doing some marketing.

-John
If you ever see an ambulance with sirens blaring and
twin 50mm cannons on top, do not interpret this as a
Good Sign. Be very, very frightened, in fact.