Date:      Sun, 27 May 2007 21:42:11 -0500
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        "Kiffin Gish" <kiffin.gish@planet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade xorg 7.2 and extra x11 packages ...

On 27/05/07, Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@planet.nl> wrote:
> I have a question about the xorg 7.2 upgrade.
>
> I noticed that tons of extra x11 packages are being installed by default
> for some reason, my packages count growing beyond 950! The whole process
> is taking more than a day and there is no end in sight.
>
> Are they really required, and if not, how can I safely remove these
> unwanted packages?

Similarly, back when Gentoo switched to xorg 7.0
I suddenly discovered that I had to install xwd, xsetroot,
and a myriad (not literal) of other programs just to
get back the functionality included in xorg-clients
under 6.9.  It's a bit of a pain, but that's how life is
now in the fantastic world of xorg.  At least we have
meta-ports to do the ugly bit for us.  Figuring out
which ones you can live without might be more effort
than just letting it blithely compile.

As a note, for me 7.2 added about 280 entries in
/var/db/pkg.