Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:08:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lukas Ertl <le@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: growfs on vinum volume

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Monday, 29 March 2004 at  9:37:39 +0200, Ludo Koren wrote:
> > It finished with the following error:
> >
> > growfs: bad inode number 1 to ginode
> >
> > I have searched the archives, but did not find any answer. Please,
> > could you point to me what I did wrong?
>
> You trusted growfs on 5.2.1 :-)
>
> growfs is suffering from lack of love, and presumably you had a UFS 2
> file system on the drive.  It's only recently been fixed for that, in
> 5-CURRENT.

Well, this particular bug is not fixed right now, I fixed a different one.

The 'bad inode number 1' problem happens when you grow your filesystem so
large that the cylinder group summary needs to allocate a new block.

I haven't found a fix for that yet, but interestingly enough, you should
now run fsck on that filesystem, and *after* that, you should be able to
grow that filesystem successfully (yeah, it's some kind of voodoo).

cheers,
le

--
Lukas Ertl                           http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/