Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 15:49:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Reginald J. Reed" <rjr@the-reeds.com>
To:        "Eric J. Chet" <ejc@bazzle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ultra 5 workstation announcement

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Eric J. Chet wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 18, 1998 at 10:22:06PM -0600, Jeremy Kraft wrote:
> > > yeah, the all IDE made me a little mad as well ;)
> >
> > What's so bad about IDE?  It's a good start.  In case you haven't been
> > following, IDE has got a whole lot better in the last few years, and
> > can now often outperform SCSI as long as there aren't too many
> > concurrent I/Os.  And the board has PCI slots, so you can add a SCSI
> > controller if you want.
>
> It doesn't support UltraDMA/33, It's old EIDE technology.  Spend 3k on a
> box with a UltraSparc chip and have it doing PIO.

I agree with Greg's thought, if you want SCSI, add a SCSI controller.  I
don't think Sun is positioning the Ultra 5 for I/O intensive applications.

Take the machine for what it is, a LOW COST workstation with potential.  I
will probably end up buying a couple of these machines.  If the
performance isn't up to snuff, then I'll stuff an Ultra-Wide SCSI
controller and disk in 'em (which will probably make them fly) all for
very little money.

Just my opinion.
--
Reginald Reed		         	Cisco Systems Engineering
Eta Sigma Chapter - Raleigh, NC	 	InterWorks Business Unit