Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:45:05 +0800
From:      Xin LI <delphij@frontfree.net>
To:        Hideki Yamamoto <yamamoto436@oki.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'Shared object "libc.so.4" not found' when running FreeBSD 4 command on 5.3

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 12:24:49PM +0900, Hideki Yamamoto wrote:
> When trying to run my application, which was compiled on FreeBSD4.8,
> on FreeBSD 5.3, It does not work and appears
>        'Shared object "libc.so.4" not found.'
>=20
> After make an symbolic link as follows,
>       # ln -s /usr/lib/libc.so  /usr/lib/libc.so.4
> it works well.
>=20
> Is this link is correct for this problem?

It may work, but it's not recommended.  A recommended solution is that
you either re-compile the application, or install ports/misc/compat4x/
so you get libc.so.4.

> My kernel config file includes 'options	  COMPAT_FREEBSD4' line.
> I wonder if this option has some problems.

This should not be painful :-)  If you have many 4-STABLE binaries then
you will want this.

Cheers,
--=20
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S--