Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:45:32 -0500
From:      "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@dustdevil.waterspout.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: L2tp thoughts an implementations.

> FWIW, I'd like to see a solid implementation of 802.1q, too.  Including the
> important but always overlooked stuff like per-VLAN arp tables, in case you
> have a Sun sitting on two VLANs using the same MAC address on both, and
> per-VLAN routing tables so you can have different VLANs with their own
> unique internet connections.

Just FYI - Just like Suns, FreeBSD boxen running our current VLAN
implementation will appear on all VLANs with the MAC address of
the parent ethernet device.

I've not noticed any problems with the ARP code, aside from my
switch forwarding an occasional stray untagged packet to the parent
device.  I get a printf() about someone using my IP address (0.0.0.0).

I'm a little confused on you comment about per-VLAN routing tables.
VLANs operate at layer-2, and routing is a layer 3 decision, right?
Can you please explain where this knowledge would be important?

 - Steve

--
C. Stephen Gunn                          URL: http://www.waterspout.com/
WaterSpout Communications, Inc.        Email: csg@waterspout.com