Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:27:46 -0500
From:      Eric De la Cruz Lugo <eric@iteso.mx>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porting software to FreeBSD 5.2.1

Thanks for your response, you are right about having an intimate knowledge of
the FreeBSD libc and preferably the Linux/GNU libc sadly this is my first
program am trying to port and i lack of that knowledge right now, i simply
dont have the time to learn the basics, and don`t even know how to make
patches for this code, the software is in:

http://www.bananahead.com/

you will se that there is a bsd port in progress right now but the truth is
that with this kind o problems the port will take years to be finished.
the creator of the system is having poblems with this but my help is not
enough to help him in the port task, hope some one with more knowledge than I
can help him in this task.

am willin to send my logs of the compilation problems I found and tryed to
solve.

Thanks to you and all.

Eric De La Cruz Lugo.

> Well, Linux is not FreeBSD.  And vice-versa.  You're trying to compile
> this code as FreeBSD native, so you don't want to use the libraries
> under /usr/compat/linux at all -- those are there for the benefit of
> Linux binaries run under emulation.
>
> The libc version number in FreeBSD is the same as the major version
> number of the OS, so your FreeBSD 5.2.1 system has:
>
>     /usr/lib/libc.so.5         -- single threaded libc
>     /usr/lib/libc_r.so.5       -- reentrant (for multiply threaded) libc
>
> Now, the problem you're running into is that certain similar function
> calls etc. have an API similar enough that you can get the code to
> compile, but that differ in subtle but significant ways in operation.
> This can lead to core dumps and other effects as you've seen.
> Unfortunately there is no simple way to resove that sort of problem.
> You need to run the problem code under the debugger, work out why it
> is blowing up and produce patches to the source code that fix the
> problem.  It helps if you have an intimate knowledge of the FreeBSD
> libc and preferably the Linux/GNU libc and where the incompatabilities
> are likely to occur.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       26 The Paddocks
>                                                       Savill Way
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey         Marlow
> Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Bucks., SL7 1TH UK

---