Date:      18 Sep 2002 17:26:51 -0400
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   umass oddity in 4.7-PRERELEASE

--=-pMdjYRH9OZRTL8BkI7Hb

Running FreeBSD 4.7-PRERELEASE (as of last Friday morning) on a Sony
VAIO PCG-GR300 laptop. I posted earlier about the internal USB Memory
Stick reader not working under FreeBSD and causing delays during boot
up. (I received no answers, btw. Most annoying.)

Anyway, I've found an odd condition under which it does work, kindof. I
have attached my Sony MSAC-US1 USB MemoryStick reader to the USB chain,
inserted a stick into the internal reader, then inserted a stick into
the external reader, then they both show up:

umass0: Sony USB Memory Stick Slot, rev 1.10/1.83, addr 2
umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-in stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-out stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
[ repeat last 3 lines 4 more times ]
umass1: Sony MSAC-US1, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 6
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da0: <Sony MSAC-US1 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device=20
da0: 20KB/s transfers
da0: 61MB (126848 512 byte sectors: 2H 9S/T 80C)
da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-in stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-out stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-in stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-out stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-in stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-out stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-in stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-out stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
lun 0
da1: <Sony MSC-U02 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device=20
da1: 150KB/s transfers
da1: 7MB (15840 512 byte sectors: 0H 0S/T 0C)

umass0 is the internal reader, umass1 is the enternal reader (it doesn't
show up until there is a card in it.)

I can mount both cards at this point, though the card at umass0 is very
slow. It seems like it's waiting for something to timeout in order to
continue working. There's no messages in dmesg about it though.

So, any clues as to why it doesn't appear on it's own? Or why it does
respond as fast, even though it has the higher transfer speed?

For that matter, why does it cause mouse button events on the jogdial
when a stick is removed/inserted from the internal reader?

Any answers this time around would be appreciated.

--=20
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx>           http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a21>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N@ o K- w O M+
V-- PS+ PE Y+ PGP++ t+@ R@ tv@ b++@ DI++++ D+(-) G++ e>++ h>++ r++ y?