Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:10:01 +0200
From:      "Ivan Voras" <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   4.6.2 under vmware

Since I upgraded to 4.6.2 Release, during IDE detection at boot (GENERIC
kernel), vmware (3.1.1) complains:

---
You do not have read access to "Partition -1" of host disk device
"PhysicalDrive0" in file "I:\FreeBSD\FreeBSD.raw". Hence, we are unable to
read 4 sector(s) starting at sector 78165297.
Select Allow to override access rights for this read.
Select Allow all to override access rights for this and subsequent reads to
all safe raw disk partitions during this run of the virtual machine.
Select Deny to refuse this read.
Select Deny all to refuse this and subsequent reads to all safe raw disk
partitions which do not have read access during this run of the virtual
machine.
---

I am given choice of actions (as listed above), and when I select "Allow"
everything procedes normally. When I choose "deny", FreeBSD waits, then
prints
"ad0: READ command timeout tag=0, serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices..done"
and then repeats the process several times (with VMware message and all),
manages to detect the drive (at least, prints the message with drive
information), tries to fallback to PIO mode and finally panicks with trap
12 - page fault.

FreeBSD is installed as a dual boot with windows (windows is hosting
vmware), and the virtual machine is given read-only access to all partitions
except the FreeBSD native one.

Since everyting works ok after allowing operation, I don't thing this is
fatal, but:
a) it looks unusual to me that FreeBSD is accessing "partition -1", but that
may as well be a vmware quirk
b) FreeBSD panics (with page fault!) if disallowed such operation

This did not happen with 4.5 release, and I skipped 4.6.

------
signature down