Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:06:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au
Cc:        joseph_boniakowski@brown.edu, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: capturing video with ATI cards

On  6 Mär, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

>> It seems that the only cards that one can use to capture video under
>> FreeBSD are the Brooktree based ones using the bktr driver.  Also, it
>> seems that apps that want to use this driver code to it, rather than
>> some video API.  Is that the state of video-capturing affairs on
>> FreeBSD, or is there an API to target?
>
> There is no API :(
> Feel free to port V4L :)
> (Which I believe won't actually work in freebsd due to dumb a API)

If someone wants to do the hard work (designing/implementing a better
API), he should have a look at
  http://www.linuxpower.com/display.php?id=215
    ("Putting together a complete multimedia architecture for Unix")
  http://www.linuxpower.com/display.php?id=216
    ("Video I/O on Linux: Lessons Learned from SGI")

Bye,
Alexander.

--
              The best things in life are free, but the
                expensive ones are still worth a look.