Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:00:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        imp@harmony.village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        brucegb@realtime.net, dreid@jetnet.co.uk, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrom

As I recall, Warner Losh wrote:
> We don't yet support cardbus ata cards.  Of course I've seen three ata
> cards that had he fancy copper ridges on it that are a hallmark of
> cardbus cards that worked just fine as 16-bit cards.  I dont'
> completely understand this.  Maybe it is a fakeout, or maybe the card
> works for both 16-bit and 32-bit operations (not that I understand how
> this could work).

The DVD drive I bought for my Sony Vaio SR-5K (PCGA-DVD51) runs in
16-bit mode when powered by the notebook, and 32-bit mode when using
external power.  It's got the pretty gold bumpy strip.

It looks like a SCSI attached ATA drive to the computer either way.

Playing DVDs is pretty jerky in 16-bit mode.  Not a surprise,
perhaps, but a pain on the plane...

> Warner

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com