Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:26:17 +1000
From:      Tim Liddelow <tim@esec.com.au>
To:        Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>
Cc:        Eric Jacoboni <jaco@titine.fr.eu.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New kernel with its ATA drivers damages the filesystem

Grigoriy Strokin wrote:

> > I've had the same problem, it's now fixed with the following line
> > added in my /etc/rc.local :
> >
> > /sbin/sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio
> >
> > (i've 2 ide disks + an ATAPI cdrom).

Yes, this is all well and dandy - but this is a _bug_ in the driver.   Is
there a PR for this ?   I am finding similar filesystem corruption - zero length
directories, dup inodes, etc frequently - and I don't get the timeout problems.
I am now falling back to PIO mode like yourselves, but don't really see this
as a long term solution - could it be the PCI IDE chip we use ?
More specifically, I am running on a VIA Apollo chipset.

Cheers
Tim.

Tim Liddelow                      *      Firewalls / Security
OneGuard Technical Lead        *    *    Electronic Commerce
eSec Pty Ltd                       *
Phone: +61 3 8341 2463                   C++/UNIX/WIN32/OOP/OOD
mailto:tim@esec.com.au           *       http://www.oneguard.com/