Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 09:09:53 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        c.raven@ukonline.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp -nat -auto <my ISP>

c.raven@ukonline.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,
> I am having problems with Windows '98 and FreeBSD running ppp -nat.
>
> Basically, The FreeBSD box with the connection is configured to use
> ppp -nat, this works fine for the other FreeBSD boxes on the network, they
> can reach the internet no problem. However, the Win '98 box can't.

I start user-user ppp with "ppp -auto -alias pmdemand". I have the
'gateway_enable="YES"' in my /etc/rc.conf. I have ppp.conf configured
to login on to my ISP. It dial flawlessly until something goes wrong
on the ISP side. Then it can take awhile :).

> The Win '98 box can telnet, FTP and ping the gateway machine but, can't even
> so much as ping any external addresses.
>
> I have set the 'HOSTS' file up in windows, the network card is configured to
> use the bsd box as gateway, they all have the same subnet 192.168.0.xxx and
> mask 255.255.255.0. I have tried setting DNS servers to the gateway box and
> alternatively, the ISP boxes without avail.

I have DNS setup in my Win98 and Windows 2000 machines to point to my
ISP's DNS servers.

Kent

> I can see the Win'98 box pinging away on the network but its just not
> getting through. Is this a Windows 'known' problem or have I made some major
> boo boo? I read the FAQ, the Handbook and Gregs Complete FreeBSD to no avail
> here.
>
> Any ideas what could be going on?
>
> Chris R.
>
> P.S. Please CC me on any replies, as my total mailing list load means I
> can't stay subscribed to -questions.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html