Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 07:39:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Scott Pilz <tech@tznet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Last hope for SMBUS

I need to get an LCD screen to work on FreeBSD 4.5...Having no such luck
doing so.

The LCD board was custom designed for eSoft. The firmware in the
processor on the LCD board will not be compatible with any of the
current LCD drivers found in the open source community.

The LCD is connected to the SMBus (aka i2c), not the serial port like
most off the self designs. That means you must first interface with the
smbus before you can connect to the LCD board.

I know that the Linux package lm_sensors works fine and uses this LCD so
there MUST be a way to make this work with FreeBSD (I'd have to think that
Linux could do something that BSD could not).

I have the kernel compiled with:

device smbus
device ichsmb
device smb
device smbus0
device iicbus0
device iicbb0
device intpm0
device smb0 at smbus?

I realize that this is pretty over kill but I'm on the ledge and about to
jump with this thing.

On dmesg, it does detect the proper hardware (I believe):

ichsmb0: <Intel 82801AA (ICH) SMBus controller> port 0x5000-0x500f irq 0
at device 31.3 on pci0
smbus0: <System management bus> on ichsmb0
smb0 <SMBus general purpose I/O> on smbus0

	I was under the assumption that this would create proper /dev/
files for the smbus (and thus allow me to echo > something out into the
LCD one and view it on the LCD screen)..
on a ls /dev/*smb* I have the following:

crw------- 1 root  wheel 144,    0 Jun 17 05:53 nsmb0
crw------- 1 root  wheel 106,    0 Jun 17 05:53 smb0
crw------- 1 root  wheel 106,    1 Jun 17 05:53 smb1

	Does anyone have any idea where to go from this point?

	Thanks much,

Scott