Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 20:58:28 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
Cc:        "Odhiambo Washington" <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>, "Salvo Bartolotta" <bartequi@inwind.it>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re[2]: PORTMAP

Hello Otter,

Sunday, September 10, 2000, 4:49:24 PM, you wrote:
> The rc.conf file is an easy one. As I sit here and think about those
> in a mission critical environment, and the changes they might need to
> make after getting the OS installed and in production... Is there any
> way to make changes to the rc.conf, and somehow
> restart/reinitialize/etc those changes without rebooting? Maybe
> sysctl? I've been looking at the man page for it and don't see
> anything that would work there. Anyone have a clue? I don't.

That depends heavily on the settings you refer to. You can change many
during runtime, some are easier, some harder, some use sysctl (mainly
those who use sysctl in rc), some someother tool (e.g. kill -HUP). If
you just want to get down portmap, a simple
# kill `cat /var/run/portmap.pid`
should generally do it.

Best regards,
 Gabriel