Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 14:44:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jmb@hub.freebsd.org (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        housley@frenchknot.ne.mediaone.net, noor@NetVision.net.il, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw behavior, is it normal?

Re. the problem with ipfw configurations...

should we add another instruction to ipfw

	<action> <proto> between A and B ...

to ease life in configuring firewalls ? Performance of a ruleset
will be only marginally improved, but having simpler rules will
indirectly make configurations more secure by reducing mistakes.

From the implementation point of view i think it is just one more flag
and replicating the four "if (...) continue" which check addresses and
ports. Performancewise, there is almost no saving because the only
checks that we save (those on interfaces) almost never apply for
bidirectional case.

	cheers
	luigi