Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 17:07:52 -0500
From:      Michael Harnois <mdharnois@home.com>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filesystem errors

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001 12:48:54 -0700, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com> said:

    > FFS will never set a directory ino == 0 at a location other than
    > the first entry in a directory, but fsck will do so to get rid
    > of an unwanted entry. The readdir routines know to skip over an
    > ino == 0 entry no matter where in the directory it is found, so
    > applications will never see such entries. It would be a fair
    > amount of work to change fsck to `do the right thing', as the
    > checking code is given only the current entry with which to
    > work. I am of the opinion that you should simply accept that
    > mid-directory block ino == 0 is acceptable rather than trying to
    > `fix' the problem.

I don't have sufficient technical knowledge to know which of you is
right; I would just ask that filesystem corruption caused by
restarting from a hung system not cause a panic <g>.

--
Michael D. Harnois                   bilocational bivocational
Washburn, Iowa                          Minneapolis, Minnesota