Date:      Mon, 26 Dec 2005 07:37:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Danial Thom <danial_thom@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Parv <parv@pair.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Usage/Context of PPP_(DEFLATE|BSDCOMP)

--- Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

> Parv <parv@pair.com> writes:
>
> > I see that PPP_FILTER kernel option is
> mentioned in pppd(8) man
> > page.  Could somebody tell me how & where
> PPP_DEFLATE & PPP_BSDCOMP
> > options are used, or where can i find
> information on them?
>
> They are compression capabilities that can be
> negotiated for use with
> the point-to-point protocol ("PPP").  If you
> need more information,
> and you can't work it out on your own from the
> source, you'll need to
> ask a more specific question.  Other than
> protocol developers, I
> wouldn't expect anybody to need to know about
> that kind of option
> these days.

I don't see the point of answering the guy if
you're just going to tell him to take a flying
leap; the answers are simple:

PPP_DEFLATE: Needed to include the zlip deflate
libs into the kernel, whether you're using PPP or
not.

PPP_BSDCOMP: This is a specific PPP option (BSD
Compression), so you need to enable this only if
you want it supported

PPP_FILTER: Enables BPF ppp filtering. Its
inefficient to pass every packet to the bpf
filters when you have no intention of using them,
so disabling this allows for a more efficient
stream.

Not too difficult.

Danial