Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 2014 23:39:44 -0500
From:      Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup solution for freeBSD/Symantec Backup exec porting

Ian,

Check into BackupPC in the ports collection.  It's very useful and very
fast.  It's a little bit to wrap your mind around when configuring, but
once you're up and running, it's very easy to use.

As for storage, I might suggest a RAID5 or RAID6 with 4 TB SATA drives.
The drives are pretty much going to be write once and read a few, pretty
static in other words.

The whole retention issue for large companies comes under the
Sarbannes-Oxley (SOX) compliance.  If you don't need to retain fulls for
long periods of time (10 years), you could buy something like a
SuperMicro 4U with 45 disk drives.  With 7 drives per stripe, you might
come out with 6 x 4000GB / 1024 = 22.5 TB in RAID 5 and about 5 x
4000GB/1024=19 TB in RAID 6.  After that, 6 total pools and 3 for hot
spares (a necessity for RAID5, kind of optional for RAID 6, yes,
everyone, that's my opinion.)  I would also suggest this is done with
ZFS and RAIDZ or RAIDZ2.  Also, if you want to keep growing the
repository, they have 45 disk expansion chassis.  (Of course, any vendor
will do, but I try to keep my costs manageable - The enclosure is about
$2K, the drives would be about 45x$100= $4.5K, plus guts for about
another $1.5K... Total cost for this would be about $8500 or so.)  You
would end up with about with somewhere between 110TB (RAID 6) and about
130TB (RAID 5).

Disk is very cheap these days.  Also, ZFS will let you know there's a
failure and you can rebuild.  Digital tape over the years, may lose
information.  (Yes, other people will tell you no way. However, do you
want to find out when trying to restore? - I'm speaking from
experience).  The other issue is keeping the disk powered and online.
That's power and heat.  More $$$ versus tape.

Also, tape is a lot more mechanical than disk and it's sequential when
restoring.  When someone needs something back...  NOW is not soon enough
in most cases.

Also, there is a misconception about backups.  Many vendors have
products that 'stream across' multiple media at a time.  That is not a
good thing.  It means that you can backup fast.  However, it usually
means that all the drives that were streamed across have to be available
to restore.  Otherwise if you streamed across 4 tapes drives and only
two are available, it means you will read the first two parts of the
stream, unload those tapes, load the next two, stream those two parts...
lather, rinse, repeat.  People have to remember, backup speed is not the
critical point of backups (you have to figure out a good schedule to get
everything done but that's it.) it's restore that is critical.  The
backup vendors want you to believe the opposite as their restore speed
tends to be abysmal.

Oh, backuppc is free.  What you save on Backup exec licensing will pay
for your array. ;-)

I hope this helps.

P.