Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 11:31:51 -0800
From:      Virgil Champlin <champlin@virgil.pa.dec.com>
To:        dgy@rtd.com
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, champlin@pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: Two AHA1542CF scsi controllers on 2.1.5-RELEASE

>>The "settings" also include IRQ and DRQ -- if these aren't disjoint,
>>I suspect you'll see much the same symptoms...

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  The cards have disjoint settings (ctlr0 =
iob330/irq11/drq6 and ctlr1 = iob334/irq10/drq7) and this was verified
when the driver probed them.  Since the probe for ctlr0
(iob330/irq11/drq6) worked and ctlr1 (iob334/irq10/drq7) didn't, I
simply swapped the cards base addresses (iob330 and iob334) to see if
there were any possible conflicts with irq10/drq7.  Apparently not since
the probe reported iob330/irq10/drq7 as successful and iob334/irq11/drq6
now had the timeout symptoms.  I could still have a conflict with iob334
but I can't find one (no hidden bustek 742 controller :-)) and the ctrl
activity light on the failing "aha" does respond during probe time.
Just not as long as the successful one.  My conclusion was that I didn't
understand the scsi kernel configuration well enough but I guess I
should actually swap the iob definitions of "aha0" and "aha1" in the
configuration file to completely rule out an iob334 conflict.  Thanks
much for the response.  -virgil