Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:31:50 +0200
From:      David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>, Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Growing list of required(ish) ports

2013/4/8 Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:19 AM, Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > I understand where you're coming from, but perhaps there needs to be
>> > movement in both directions.
>> >
>> > I may be way off the mark here, but I'd love to spark a discussion
>> > about this.  I think that in general things that are directly FreeBSD
>> > projects belong in base.  Examples would be pkgng, and making
>> > dialog4ports a switch in dialog(1).  Essentially, code that does not
>> > have an upstream should be in base.
>> >
>> > On the other hand, there are a number of things that I think should be
>> > pulled out of base.  Some already have ports, and others would need
>> > ports created.  Examples of things to pull out of base are OpenSSL,
>> > Heimdal, OpenSSH, PF, ntpd, ipfilter, bind, sendmail, and others.
>> > Code that is typically way behind the upstream project basically.

>> > I had missed that.  Thanks!

>> I think Bryan already explained the reasons why pkg should not be in
>> base, it's an external tool that is not strictly required to get a bare
>> bones FreeBSD system up and running. Including it in base you create
>> yet another maintainance burden and would slow down the development of
>> the ports/packages management tools.
>>
>> -Kimmo
>>

> What people seem to miss is that putting tools into the base system
> strangles the tools. Look at the difficulty we have seen in updating
> openssl. perl was removed from base for exactly that reason. Once something
> is in base, it usually can only be updated  on major releases and even then
> it can be very complicated. That is a problem for any dynamically changing
> tool.
>
> I would love to see BIND removed from base, but most of the things  you
> listed really are hard to remove. I know that I don't want to try bringing
> up a new install of FreeBSD on a remote system without OpenSSH and that
> pulls in openssl.  In the case of many tools, it really turns into a
> bikeshed. But i can see no reason to add any of the new packaging tools
> simply because it is critical that updates be possible far  more often than
> is possible for the base system.

BIND will be removed for sure (bapt@ told me that ;-)). I also think
BIND should be removed because it's the principal reason why there are
security advisories (almost all of them are BIND related).

For me I also wanted pkg to be in base but they made a bootstrap that
does not need any other requirement so I stick with that and I'm
happy.

I agree that is quite different from any Linux distribution where you
always have a package management directly installed, but as some said
above you can install a FreeBSD server and may not require any
external packages or the server will not requiring installing external
ports so that's probably why portmaster will never be put in base.

Cheers,

--
Demelier David