Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 10:34:33 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
Cc:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: per-user or -proc CPU reservation and limits

"E.B. Dreger" wrote:
> Eclipse/BSD is based on 3.4, and one could play with it, but the
> license looks incompatible.
>
> I guess that's not a big deal, though, as anything would be
> need to be written for 4-STABLE (or 5-CURRENT and MFCed to
> 4-STABLE).  But the ideas certainly are interesting. :-)

Rice University has been doing that a lot with their licenses,
these days.  I don't know if they would have done this anyway,
or if it's an overreaction on their part to FreeBSD ignoring
their patches.

Since they aren't a publically funded university, I don't think
there is much you can do, unless the work was done under a DARPA
grant, and even then, it would be a pain to fight.

Back to the original topic, though... you might want to ask
Alfred for his CPU affinity patches that he did.  They are
more for locking things to a CPU than affinity, but they can
do what you want to do (even though I think what you seem to
want looks more like an SVR4 "fixed" scheduling class).

-- Terry