Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 23:16:07 -0600
From:      Alex Rousskov <rousskov@ircache.net>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: _Some_ acks delayed for 200 msec?

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, David Greenman wrote:

> >Now, if that is the infamous delayed ack problem, then
> >	- why only *some* acks are delayed?
>
>    Probably because of timing of the response packets. It's impossible to
> say with your limited, one-sided tcpdump.

Response packets are coming as soon as an ack is sent or prior to that, as
far as I can tell. There was a small bi-directional tcpdump in the original
post. By "one-sided", do you mean a dump collected on a single [client]
host, or that server responses were filtered out in the long dump that I
sent? I can certainly provide more info. Just tell me what would be useful.
I was afraid of posting long tcpdumps...

>    The Nagle algorithm doesn't know or care about "local" networks.

Right. I confused Nagle with TCP_ACK_HACK (which is sort of a Nagle-like
algorithm). TCP_ACK_HACK (a sysctl option in 3.1) does depend on network
"locality" from our experience.

> >	- why disabling Nagle (TCP_NODELAY) does not help?
>
>    It will likely have to be disabled on both sides for your application since
> there appears to be a syncronous request/response involved.

It was disabled on both sides.

Thanks a lot,

Alex.