Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 03:39:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   softupdates on /

Hi,

Today I tried to remotely upgrade a machine set up by someone else.
Unfortunately softupdates was set in / and every make installworld
fails in /sbin as it runs out of space.

I'd dare not take down the machine in the middle of installworld (even
though it's only upgrading from 3.0-current of about 3 weeks ago --
I've seen weird things happen).  I ended up writing a script doing a
"cd $dir; make install; sleep 10" in /usr/src/sbin and it's finally
chugging along.

Is there some other way out of this?  Also, a caution to others -- do
not set softupdates on /, you can get into a real mess.

Satoshi