Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 03:03:16 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alain.Thivillon@hsc.fr
Cc:        iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org, Michael.Reifenberger.gp@icn.siemens.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partial success with current on Laptop.

> > Do you have acpi enabled in your kernel?
>
> 	no. I have tried ACPI some days ago, but system boot becomes
> incredibly slow (for example, syslogd complained about something like
> 'child process timeout' after enabling ACPI). All system activity such
> as fork and so was affected.

It seems the same with my TOSHIBA POTEGE 3110CT because of lack of
processor power management implementation I think.  My short term
solution is acpiconf -d to make CPU running in normal speed.

> > and processor power management portion of acpi is not implemented yet.
> > All of the power resource components such as fan are just turned on at
> > booting for now :-)
>
> Other problem with -CURRENT and laptops is that system time is not
> reinitialised after suspend and resume :)

Ah, you probably need to have a `device pmtimer' in your kernel config
and `hint.pmtimer.0.at="isa"' in your devce.hints.  If you don't like
to reinitialize system time (e.g. prefer running ntpdate), you don't
need to have pmtimer.