Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:51:51 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        Chris Pockele <chrisp@belgacom.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: floppy drive problem

--JYK4vJDZwFMowpUq

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 07:08:01PM +0200, Chris Pockele wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I've got a 486 laptop running a FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE snapshot from
> february 4th.  Unfortunately its floppy drive is acting weird under FreeB=
SD:
>=20
> nomad# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt
> fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 0 of 0-3 (ST0 40<abnrml> ST1 10<data_overru=
n> ST2
> 0 cyl 0 hd 0 sec 1)
> msdos: /dev/fd0a: Input/output error
> nomad# dd if=3D/dev/fd0a /mnt
> dd: unknown operand /mnt
> nomad# dd if=3D/dev/fd0a of=3D/dev/null
> fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 0 (ST0 40<abnrml> ST1 10<data_overrun> ST2 =
0 cyl 0
>  hd 0 sec 1)
> dd: /dev/fd0a: Input/output error
> 0+0 records in
> 0+0 records out
> 0 bytes transferred in 7.328928 secs (0 bytes/sec)
>=20
> When I boot with an OpenBSD boot disk and try the same, it shows similar =
error
> messages.
<snip>
>=20
> Does anyone have an idea about how to start debugging or fixing this?
>=20
> --=20
> Chris

Notwithstanding apparent problems with your entire floppy subsystem,
your dd command is incorrect.  The syntax should be something like:
# dd if=3D/dev/fd0 of=3Dimage.flp

Take a look at dd's manpage.

You can usually get dd to copy data off a damaged disk with the
following command:
# dd if=3D/dev/fd0 of=3Dimage.flp conv=3Dnoerror

Note that this won't prevent data loss.  It may allow you to recover
good blocks off failing media, though.  How confident are you about the
cable and the drive itself?

Nathan

--=20
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C
http://63.105.21.156/gpg_nkinkade_4250A04C.asc

--JYK4vJDZwFMowpUq

--JYK4vJDZwFMowpUq--