Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 17:17:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
Cc:        Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Charlie ROOT <root@triton.press.southern.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting older versions of FreeBSD

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> On Wed 1999-02-03 (14:41), Drew Baxter wrote:
> > What's really sad is I still have a January 1994 2.0 CD around here..
>
> We have a 1.0 CD, which is rumoured to have been mastered on a previous
> incarnation of the machine I'm on.  Have looked around on the filesystem,
> but haven't quite got up the courage to try install it.  (Besides, I'm not
> sure the hardware I have around would be supported.)

You want to be a little careful here.  Some folks who were around then
may recall that 1.1 (as it was labelled) had to be released twice,
because the first issue had a screwup, and although all the files showed
up, the data on the disk for about half of them was garbage.

Both cdroms (the good one and the bad one) came in identical cases, and
were silkscreened the same, but one was labbelled "1.1", the other "6/94
Beta" in the nearly invisible labelling near the center ring.  There was
some problem of the size of the cdrom being incorrectly specified in the
transfer process (I know, I was one of those that reported it).  I just
tried to figure out which was good, but couldn't. Guess it might take
another install to hunt that down (and I'm not going to do that).  The
symptom was that the filesize reports good, but the file turns out to be
full of junk.

I have both old 1.1's.  I wouldn't lend them out (I don't believe it
would ever come back) but if Jordan said it was OK as far as WC and
copyright goes, I could make a CD copy here.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).