Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 09:54:11 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@uffdaonline.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        vortexia <andrew@psycho.h4x0rz.za.org>, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCM

On Sat, May 01, 1999 at 04:22:25PM +0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> vortexia wrote:
> > Heh, the panic problem might be solved, but Ive just cvsupped with the
> > latest 4.0-CURRENT and the problems with pcm are definatly not over, Im
> > getting very jerky sound, its repeating bits of it over and over... and I
> > get messages like this while trying to play mp3s with mpg123:
> >
> > May 1 10:12:16 main /kernel: timeout flushing dbuf_out, chan 3 cnt
> > 0xfff994bc flags 0x00000141
> >
> > Cheers
> > Andrew
>
> I've run two systems with PCM right since the first newbus commit, and it's
> worked for me.  Admittedly I don't use it all that often, but it's never
> paniced and I don't recall getting any more sound problems than usual.
>
> I checked that the isa_dma.c code is an exact split of the dma code that
> used to be in the old isa.c, there are zero changes to the isa dma code.

Ok, the discussion seems to be here, I posted a debugging log in
-multimedia last night.  (It basically shows a bunch of data being
queued up, one interrupt, and some buffer being filled).  One more
thing to add to that is:

pcm1 (SB16pnp <SB16 PnP> sn 0x12b9118f) at 0x220-0x22f irq 9 drq 0 flags 0x17 on isa

and vmstat -i:

interrupt      total      rate
old irq9            1        0
mux irq10       47898        1
fdc0 irq6           2        0
wdc0 irq14      24700        0
wdc1 irq15        207        0
atkbd0 irq1     36361        0
psm0 irq12       1215        0
sio1 irq3     3379354       90
ppc0 irq7           1        0
ed0 irq5          238        0
clk irq0      3752093       99
rtc irq8      4802629      127
Total        12044699      320

The sound driver is definately not getting the interrupts it should on my
system.  Everything worked properly in the first half of April.  What I'm
about to do is compile a kernel from every day since I last knew it worked
and see where it breaks...

--
Zach Heilig <zach@uffdaonline.net>