Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 13:07:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Doug Swarin <zac@nol.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disk error problem

I'm having a problem with my disk (and I'm aware its a hardware problem)
but I cannot use bad144 to mark the sectors that are bad on the disk as
bad. Whenever something tries to read the damaged sectors FreeBSD does
not error out but rather continually gives me:
wd0: soft error reading fsbn 1808??? of 1808???-1808??? (bn 2071117
[track/cyl]) error 1<no_dam>
and I cannot do anything (break out of the program, reboot the machine,
etc) but must reboot.

Does anyone know of a way I can tell FreeBSD that these blocks are bad
without using bad144?

Thanks in advance

Doug